Common Accidents that Cause Spine Injuries
Damage to the spinal cord can cause injuries to the vertebrae, ligaments, and discs within the spinal column. Traumatic spinal cord injuries are usually the result of a blow to the spinal column that causes vertebrae to become crushed, fractured, compressed, or dislocated. People often sustain these injuries suddenly and unexpectedly when they are involved in an accident. Below, our Dublin spinal cord injury lawyer outlines what types of accidents cause this type of damage, and who is most susceptible to them.
Common Accidents that Cause Spinal Cord Injuries
Any accident can result in a spinal cord injury, but there are some that cause them more commonly than others. According to a study, the most common accidents that result in spinal cord injuries are as follows:
- Car accidents: Almost half of all injuries to the spinal column are caused by car accidents. These make them the leading cause of all spinal injuries.
- Slip and fall accidents: According to the study, slip and falls make up a large percentage of spinal cord injuries as well. This is especially true for people over the age of 65 years old.
- Criminal acts: Criminal acts such as knife and gunshot wounds are not accidents, but they still cause serious injuries that could result in a personal injury claim. Criminal acts make up 12 percent of all injuries to the spinal cord.
When a spinal cord injury is caused by the negligent actions of another person, accident victims can file a personal injury claim against them to obtain financial compensation. For example, if another driver hit you from behind, the sudden force could cause you to suffer a spinal cord injury. You could file a claim against them to claim damages for your medical expenses, lost income, and other losses.
Who is Most at Risk for Spine Injuries?
Just as some accidents are more likely to cause a spinal cord injury, there are also certain people who are more at risk of suffering them. These include:
- Men: Men are far more likely to sustain a spinal cord injury than women. In fact, 80 percent of injuries to the spine are sustained by men.
- People between the ages of 16 and 30: More than 50 percent of all spinal cord injuries are sustained by people who are between the ages of 16 and 30.
- People 65 years old or older: People who are 65 years of age or older are particularly at risk for sustaining a spinal cord injury. When an older individual suffers this type of injury, it is also more likely to be fatal.
- Risky behavior: Risky behavior, such as failing to wear appropriate safety equipment, can cause an injury to the spinal cord.
Our Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Dublin Can Help You Claim Damages
If you have been hurt due to another person’s carelessness, our Dublin spinal cord injury lawyer at Oliver Law Office can help you claim the full compensation you need. Call us now at 614-220-9100 to schedule a case evaluation and to learn more.