Skilled Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Columbus, Ohio
Columbus is a welcoming city for cyclists, with metro bike maps, miles of protected bike lanes, turn boxes, abundant bicycle parking, a multimodal thoroughfare plan, and many projects and planning to make Columbus friendlier and safer. Even with all that going on, cycling in the city can still be dangerous and potentially deadly.
Tragically, 18 people were killed in bicycle accidents in Ohio last year alone, with hundreds more suffering catastrophic injuries, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Since 2000, our Columbus bicycle accident attorneys have represented injury victims and family members who have lost their loved ones to negligence while cycling throughout Ohio so they can pursue justice.
Our law firm founder and managing attorney, Jami S. Oliver, has been voted 2024 Lawyer of the Year in Columbus, Ohio, for Product Liability and named to the Best Lawyers 2024 list in multiple practice areas. Allow our skilled team, led by one of Ohio’s best, to review your personal injury or wrongful death claim during a free consultation today so you can start making informed decisions about your case and future.
Why Choose The Columbus, Ohio, Bicycle Accident Attorneys at Oliver Law Office?
At Oliver Law Office, our Ohio bicycle accident and injury attorneys have represented clients for nearly 30 years. We have intimate knowledge of Ohio’s personal injury laws and how to obtain maximum compensation from all insurance coverages and policies for each client’s unique recovery needs.
We handle all injury cases on a contingency basis, which means we advance all the costs necessary to pursue your claim, and we only charge you a fee if and when there is a successful result.
What we do differently is ensure our clients know how important they are to us. You are not simply another case. You are not a number. You have gone through a physically and emotionally traumatic experience, and you deserve our full attention.
We pledge to:
- Provide unique solutions through compassionate service.
- Approach challenges with confidence, courage, and determination.
- Remain engaged and dedicated to learning, growing, and excelling as people and professionals.
Our Columbus bicycle accident lawyers represent clients throughout Ohio because this is also our home, and we want to help protect our fellow residents with the legal skills, knowledge, and resources they deserve to obtain justice for their unique claims.
Oliver Law Office was built to prioritize and support you through unparalleled communication and commitment to your individualized needs by delivering an experience that instills trust and encourages the ethical and passionate pursuit of justice.
Your complete recovery is essential, and you are worth the fight. Getting your life back on track means not giving up on the process. We won’t either. Contact us today to learn more.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Columbus, Ohio
Because bicycles are smaller and narrower than other vehicles and less common on the road, and larger vehicles can obstruct their view, motorists find bikes more challenging to spot.
Cyclists can increase their visibility by riding in the center of the lane, but this is not always possible or practical. Even when cyclists are riding carefully, competently, and vigilantly, they can still be prey to negligent drivers who don’t take care to share the road with bicycles.
Drivers can be impatient, aggressive, or reckless around bikes. They can be distracted, inattentive, fail to signal, and act in countless ways that endanger a bicycle rider’s health and life.
While there are many ways negligent drivers can get into wrecks with bicycles, these are some of the most common:
- Misjudging the cyclist’s speed. Cyclists can be going anywhere from 15 to 35 miles per hour, and it’s common for drivers to misjudge the speed of an oncoming cyclist. This leads to drivers making left turns across the path of a rider who cannot avoid colliding with the car. These crashes also happen when the bicyclist is behind a vehicle coming through the intersection; the left-turning driver executes the turn after the oncoming car has passed through without seeing if a bicycle is following the vehicle.
- Entering the roadway. Cars entering the road from a driveway, alleyway, or intersection hit bicycles when they fail to look for bicycles crossing their path. Safe driving involves not pulling into the street too quickly and stopping before crossing a sidewalk or crosswalk.
- Right hook crashes. These accidents happen when a driver makes a right turn without seeing if a bicycle is on the right side of the lane or in a bike lane. Negligent drivers cause right hook accidents by failing to look behind them, failing to signal their turns, or by passing cyclists and then reentering the street in front of the cyclist too quickly.
- Dooring. Every cyclist knows the danger of getting “doored,” even if it hasn’t happened to them personally. Dooring occurs when a driver or driver-side passenger opens their door into traffic or a bike lane, and a cyclist crashes into the open door. These accidents can be catastrophic or deadly as cyclists flip head over heels onto the pavement. Opening a car door into a bike lane without checking the side mirror or looking behind is negligent.
- Distracted driving. Driver inattention, including texting while driving and other smartphone activity, is a leading cause of all auto accidents. Distracted driving can be hazardous to cyclists, who are more challenging to spot on the road even when drivers are paying attention.
Oliver Law Office is a leading personal injury law firm in Columbus dedicated to helping bicycle accident victims get justice and compensation for the harm done to them in crashes caused by a driver’s negligence, including cases involving the most severe and catastrophic injuries or wrongful death.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bicycle crash and you need help holding the at-fault driver accountable, Oliver Law Office will handle every aspect of your case so you can focus on yourself and your family. Contact our experienced Columbus bicycle accident lawyer today to learn more about your legal rights and options.
Oliver Law Office Has Successfully Resolved Complex Bicycle Accident and Injury Claims in Ohio
For over two decades, our Columbus bicycle accident attorneys have represented Ohio injury victims after negligence has turned their lives upside down. Unfortunately, because bicyclists are exceptionally vulnerable during crashes, their accidents often lead to catastrophic injuries.
Findings in a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that over ten years, there were nearly 597,000 bicycle-related traumatic brain injuries treated in hospital emergency departments (ED) in the United States.
Other common types of bicycle accident injuries in Columbus may include, but are not limited to:
- Broken bones.
- Complex orthopedic injuries.
- Dental and facial fractures.
- Internal bleeding.
- Joint injuries.
- Neck and spine injuries.
- Nerve damage.
- Organ damage.
- Scarring and disfigurement.
- Tendon, muscle, and ligament damage.
- Wrongful death.
Catastrophic and complex personal injury claims leave our Ohio clients with more questions than answers. Injury victims often believe the liable party’s insurance company will do the right thing. People often attempt to submit their claims independently once they are physically and emotionally able. Unfortunately, this is when they realize the insurance company is not on their side. This is why we are here.
We provide free consultations for Ohio bicycle accident victims and for those who have lost their loved ones in these tragic collisions so they can seek justice. Contact our dedicated Columbus bicycle accident lawyers today for help with your claim.
Understanding The Rules of The Road for Bicyclists in Columbus
Under Ohio law, bicycles are vehicles, and cyclists are drivers. Cyclists must follow all the rules that apply to other cars and drivers, except those that wouldn’t apply to non-motorized vehicles. Otherwise, cyclists have all the same rights and responsibilities as motorists.
Below are some safe riding tips based on Ohio traffic laws.
- Helmets are required for riders under 18. Adults are encouraged to wear helmets for safety, but they are not required to wear them by law.
- Cyclists should ride in the direction of traffic, i.e., on the right side of the road.
- Generally speaking, cyclists should use bike lanes wherever they are available. If there is no bike lane, cyclists should ride as close to the right edge of the road as is safe and practical, staying on the paved surface. If parked cars are in the street, cyclists should ride in the roadway at least four feet from the parked cars to avoid getting “doored.” In any event, riding in bike lanes is optional for cyclists, and it’s not always the safest place.
- If the lane is too narrow to accommodate both a bicycle and a motor vehicle, cyclists can lawfully occupy the center of the lane, even if they are riding slower than the pace of traffic. If the lane is wide enough to permit it, cyclists should stay to the right of the road so cars can pass in the same lane. However, it is lawful for cyclists to take the lane under Ohio law if the lane is too narrow to share with a motor vehicle, if they are keeping up with the flow of traffic, or if there are hazards or objects on the edge of the road, including potholes and parked cars.
- Riding on sidewalks is illegal in Columbus, except where sidewalks are officially designated as multi-use trails open to cyclists and pedestrians. An exception exists for children under ten, who can and should ride on the sidewalk instead of the street.
- Drivers should yield to cyclists in bike lanes or traveling parallel to the driver in the roadway. Drivers should slow down to pass a cyclist safely, including changing lanes to pass if there is not enough room to pass safely in the same lane.
If you have questions about how our Ohio traffic laws impact your bicycle accident and injury claim, contact us today to learn more about your legal rights and options so you can make informed decisions moving forward.
We Also Focus on the Following Areas in Columbus:-
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Car Accident
- Defective Product
- Distracted Driving Accident
- Employment Disputes
- Motorcycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Premises Liability
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Truck Accident
- Uber & Lyft Accident
- Wrongful Death
- Uninsured Motorist Accident
Contact Our Skilled Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Columbus, Ohio Today
If you have been injured in an accident or have tragically lost a loved one due to negligence in Ohio, contact our dedicated Columbus bicycle accident attorneys today by calling us at (614) 756-6774. There is never a charge to speak with an attorney or any upfront or out-of-pocket costs to associate with our law firm in an injury or death matter.
Oliver Law Office is a client-focused law firm emphasizing the individualized needs of each client: Confidence, Courage, and Determination. Let’s get started on your claim today.
meet the founder jami s. oliver
When Jami Oliver launched her own firm in 2000, she did so with one simple idea in mind: to seek justice for those who have been hurt, injured, or wronged due to the negligence of others. While she’s won numerous awards and accolades in the years since, her philosophy hasn’t changed. If you need an attorney who can advocate for you after an accident, product recall, or other tragedy, the Oliver Law Office should be your first choice.LEARN MORE ABOUT JAMI
It has been 15 years since my trial date in Columbus, and although I think of you and pray for you often, you have been on my mind more rightRead More
Jami and her team are not only incredibly professional but also very caring and patient. They put considerable time and effort into helping me achieve a positive result, and alsoRead More
Jami was nothing but helpful during my process. I was able to put my trust in her as my attorney!! I was involved in a car accident, where the otherRead More
I required Jami's services to negotiate terms in a separation agreement. Jamie provided recommendations based on her experiences and potential outcomes. Personally, this was difficult, and having Jami providing legalRead More
Jami and her team has been great to work with. I've used them primarily to help draft and negotiate business contracts and they always deliver great and timely service. HighlyRead More
Talked to Jami following my car accident in which I was rear ended. She showed a lot of integrity in helping me assess my legal options. I truly got theRead More
Jami is a high quality attorney that provides FIVE STAR service. She helped me with my unemployment claim several years ago which was a platform for me to seek furtherRead More
From the beginning of a very unpleasant experience to closure with a successful completion of our litigation - you and your team have done a great job. Unfortunately bad thingsRead More
I can tell you from personal experience Jami is a voted attorney that combines knowledge, ability and compassion for her clients. I’d hire her again if I ever needed anRead More
Jami was nothing but helpful during this process. I was able to put my trust in her as my attorney and know that she gets the job done.Read More
I first met and hired Attorney Jami Oliver several years ago. I immediately discerned that she is a compassionate advocate for those who have been harmed by negligent acts orRead More
Jami Oliver guided me through the most difficult experience of my life and showed me compassion and professionalism throughout the whole episode. I highly recommend Ms. Oliver as the bestRead More
I can’t express my relief regarding the first time I contacted Oliver Law. I was referred to Oliver law by one of her colleagues who spoke very highly of herRead More
My experience with the Oliver Law Office, from start to finish, was excellent. Ms. Oliver's counsel was invaluable, prompt, and easily explained. She is also gifted in her ability toRead More